- Not what you were looking for? See Freddy (disambiguation).
Nightmare Fredbear is the presumed main antagonist of Five Nights at Freddy's 4 and one of the seven nightmare animatronics (ten if the Halloween Edition animatronics and Plushtrap are counted) that appear in the game. He is the nightmarish, twisted incarnation of Fredbear, who is the mascot of the restaurant known as Fredbear's Family Diner. It is also believed by some that Fredbear might possibly be the first incarnation of Golden Freddy.
|“||A giant, terrifying version of the Fredbear we've been seeing in the mini-games. This tattered and torn bear animatronic has golden fur and wears a purple hat and bow tie.||”|
— The Freddy Files, page 100
Out of all the nightmare animatronics (except for Nightmare), Nightmare Fredbear appears to be the least damaged. He is slightly bulkier than the other nightmare animatronics. He is a mottled golden color with various splotches of brown and has many tears and holes in his suit. He wears a pink/purple bowtie and small top hat with a black stripe. Furthermore, he has two buttons on his chest which is similar to BB's from Five Nights at Freddy's 2: the top button being black and the bottom button being white. He has a large head with puffy cheeks, exposed gums in dark color, and a wide mouth full of long, sharp teeth.
His head, like all the other nightmare animatronics, is be separated into two parts. His muzzle is squarish, similar to Freddy from the second game. His small eyes are grey and metallic with red irises, and has several long wires poking out from each of his eyes in the form of eyelashes. His claws are silver-colored and razor-sharp, keeping with the nightmare animatronic motif. The hands both have exactly the same design as Springtrap and the other nightmare animatronics. Furthermore, his hands are bigger with fingers (except for both thumbs) colored in brown. As with all the other nightmare animatronics, his kneecaps as well as shoulder pads are missing, and has a large hole located from the lower part of his left thigh. Most of the fur on his ears is missing. His stomach is round with dark brown coloring and a large slit at the lower part armed with a set of razor-sharp fangs. He also has a reddish tint at the roots of his teeth, possibly hinting that he is the culprit of The Chomp of '83.
BehaviorNightmare Fredbear will appear in Night 5 (for the full night) and Night 6 (from 4 AM onward). When active, no other animatronics will attack which, to a degree, can simplify things.
Nightmare Fredbear will approach from either the Left Hall or Right Hall. When looking at him in the halls, flicking the Flashlight off and on will cause him to approach while closing the door will make him retreat back around the corner. At random points throughout the game, the player will hear Nightmare Fredbear laugh loudly, which means that his head will appear either on the Bed (at which point the player must simply shine the Flashlight on him for a brief period of time) or in the Closet (at which point the player simply has to close the door for a brief period of time). While warding him off in these situations, Nightmare Fredbear will make a loud screech sound. But be aware, if the player hears laughing and footsteps, then Nightmare Fredbear is not in the Closet or on the Bed. If the player flashes the light on him and run or close the doors afterwards, the player will die. There is no known way of escaping these which is why they must flash the light on him and quickly close the door until the footsteps signify that he has left that location.
To defend against Nightmare Fredbear's attack, the player must pay close attention to the sounds he makes as he runs to tell which direction he's going. Therefore, it is crucial to use stereo speakers or headphones with the sound turned up to an acceptable level. Likewise, the player can also hear when Nightmare Fredbear has left the door in a similar manner and can return to the middle of the Bedroom.
- Nightmare Fredbear (and by extension, Nightmare) is currently the only known nightmare animatronic whose original version, Fredbear, has not been seen, outside of an appearance in the minigames.
- According to a Steam post by Scott Cawthon, the character that took the most time to model was Nightmare Fredbear, which took a week.
- The reddish tint at the roots of Nightmare Fredbear's teeth may be a reference to the Night 5 end-of-night minigame in Five Nights at Freddy's 4, where Fredbear's jaws crush the skull of the player.
- Nightmare Fredbear is a lot less active in the mobile version.
- Interestingly, Nightmare Fredbear's feet are reused and recolored from Nightmare Freddy's.
- In the teaser image featuring his torso, the "name" source code on the website (at the time) was “gsfecfbs". If decrypted, the word "Fredbear" was revealed.
- When brightened, the words “or was it me” can be seen on the left side of the image. Smaller text can be seen in Fredbear’s stomach, with the middle of the phrase missing. This text reads “pro... me”.
- Nightmare Fredbear’s laugh can sometimes be heard from a distance on nights where it is not active, as can be heard here.
- Nightmare Fredbear seems to have two black buttons on his body. However, when his full body is shown via Extra, the buttons are now black and white. It is unknown why this occurs, but it could just be an error with the lighting.
- This also applies to BB from the second game where he enters The Office.
- When Nightmare Fredbear appears at the Right Hall, some of his claws are clipping through his thighs.
- His hat also seems to be clipping in the ceiling light.
Nightmare Fredbear makes an appearance in the upcoming Custom Night for Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator.
Nightmare Fredbear's laughter in the minigames.
Nightmare Fredbear's laughter that plays when he enters the room. This is shared with Nightmare and Nightmarionne.
The sound Nightmare Fredbear emits when on the Bed or in the Closet. This is shared with Nightmare and Nightmarionne.